LiveJournal, Inc. Announces Advisory Board Appointments
boyd, Dyson, Fitzpatrick and Lessig Comprise Advisory Dream Team
SAN FRANCISCO -- LiveJournal, Inc., one of the world's leading online communities, today announced the first appointments to its advisory board. Comprised of some of the technology industry's most thoughtful and influential leaders, the new LiveJournal Advisory Board will guide LiveJournal, Inc. in the operation and development of the LiveJournal platform.
Together, the members of the LiveJournal Advisory Board will speak to and for the LiveJournal community, not only offering them a voice in the management of or setting policies for LiveJournal, Inc., but also shaping LJ's role in the world.
"The new advisory board members bring weight, substance and experience to their role," said Andrew Paulson, CEO of SUP. "Each of them shares something unique and important with LiveJournal. As LiveJournal continues to grow globally, I'm personally looking forward to working with the advisory board. I fully expect them to challenge everyone at LJ, from the board, to the staff and perhaps even the users."
The LiveJournal, Inc. Advisory Board members include:
- danah boyd, Ph.D. candidate at the University of California (Berkeley), Fellow at Harvard Law School's Berkman Center for Internet and Society, and renowned blogger.
- Esther Dyson, Internet investor and evangelist, journalist and commentator on emerging digital technology worldwide, founding member of the digerati, philanthropist, on the board of Yandex, one of the largest Russian Web portals.
- Brad Fitzpatrick, founder of LiveJournal, former chief architect of Six Apart, and currently part of the technical staff at Google.
- Lawrence Lessig, Professor of Law at Stanford Law School and founder of the school's Center for Internet and Society.
Furthermore, the LiveJournal Advisory Board will also include two positions set aside for LJ user representatives. Details on the user election process will be announced soon.
Specifically, LiveJournal, Inc. is looking to the Advisory Board for assistance on matters such as:
- Advise the management and Board of Directors of LiveJournal, Inc. in the operation and development of the LiveJournal platform;
- Advise and post to LJ on current issues important to the community such as free speech, privacy, copyright, security, access and propriety;
- Provide guidance to LJ management and the Board of Directors on issues and controversies as they arise;
- Speak to and for the users, offering them a voice not only within LiveJournal, but also on LiveJournal's role in the world;
- Oversee LiveJournal's ongoing charitable work.
LiveJournal is one of the world's most respected community publishing platforms. Since its launch in the United States in 1999, LiveJournal has become the online home to a wide array of creative individuals looking to share common interests, meet new friends and express themselves. LiveJournal encourages community and personal expression by offering users both a user-friendly interface and the ability to deeply customize their journal. The site allows users to set up their own virtual diary and communicate with their friends by posting and receiving comments on each other's entries. In many countries the site's most popular functionality is the community aspect which allows users to engage each other on issues of common interest.
LiveJournal has registered more than 16 million accounts since its founding, and currently has a worldwide monthly audience of 20 million of whom 5.7 million are Russian based (Omniture, TNS Gallup). LiveJournal Inc. is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For more information, please visit http://www.livejournalinc.com
- Media Contact